Gary Griffin Award for Environmental Excellence
The Petitcodiac Watershed Alliance is proud to announce the second annual Gary Griffin Award of Environmental Excellence scholarship. Thanks to proceeds generated by our Small Change Fund fundraiser, we were able to secure one $500 scholarship for promising youth pursuing post-secondary studies in the environmental field. The award is named after Mr. Gary Griffin, a local who pioneered a path to recovery on the Petitcodiac River. Mr. Griffin voluntarily manned a fish trap three times a day, for twenty years, to collect the necessary data proving that the causeway decimated local fish populations. Read more about his story here: http://alexandracousteau.drupalgardens.com/expeditions/canada/gary-griffin
Successful applicants will reside and attend high school within the Petitcodiac River watershed boundaries (Moncton, Dieppe, Riverview, Salisbury, Petitcodiac. Contact us if you are unsure). We place an emphasis on passion for conservation, evident efforts to make the world a better place, and financial need. Students must be pursuing a post-secondary education in the environmental sciences, some of which can include biology, forestry, toxicology, wildlife science, natural resource management, and environmental studies.
Requirements for a complete application:
- Download and complete the ENGLISH FILLABLE FORM or FRENCH FILLABLE FORM
- One-page personal statement answering 2017 questions: reasons for pursuing a career in the environmental field and importance of the causeway replacement
- Scanned copy of transcript
- Professional headshot photo for newsletter (only successful candidate’s photo will be used)
- One scanned letter of reference from a teacher
- If possible, proof of acceptance by an accredited university or college (scan of original document)
Email the completed application package to: firstname.lastname@example.org with “Scholarship 2017” and your name in the subject.
Incomplete applications will not be considered. All application materials must be submitted as one email by June 4th, 2017 at midnight. If you have issues with space limits, please contact us at the email above.